Saturday, September 29, 2018

Nasty Illness

Poor Katherine was pretty sick for a couple weeks at the end of September, early October. It involved fevers, vomiting, about 4 doctor visits, lots of coughing, wheezing, breathing treatments, and a couple really scary nights(I slept in her room and "nebulized" every 2 hours for a couple nights), antibiotics, oral steroids, Pulmicort, and Xopenex.  Katherine was sick(with a flu-like virus- thought she tested negative for flu and strep), then developed pneumonia, which coupled with asthma, was really bad. She rarely has any asthma symptoms. She and Christian are diagnosed with asthma, but don't typically have the kinds of problems that G and V have. However, this was an exhausting time, but I played nurse and we were able to keep her home and out of the hospital. Her O levels were pretty bad a few nights, so it was a hard decision.  K really handles being sick very matter of factly and without much drama. I love that her thoughts are very positive and that because of her thought processes, she feels happy more than she feels other emotions, including pain. I hope that one day I will be able to control my thoughts that well and I hope that she continues to process the world in the way she does.

She felt sick for a few days before the baseball game, but felt better. After we left, she felt sick again. 








She missed 2 weeks of school, but we read and worked on a bit of math at home, so she wasn't negatively affected. It was sad that she was sick, but I was glad to be able to take care of her.

No comments: