Monday, November 25, 2019

College Tours Trip!

Victoria and I took a super fun trip out west to look at some colleges. Girls trip! We had so much fun in 5 days! We flew to UT, rented a car, and went to downtown Salt Lake. We drove around for a bit and I showed her where Danny and I used to live in the Covey Apts. when we were first married. We checked out the City Creek Mall, which was beautifully redone. It was huge and so nice. We ate Indian food for dinner there and went to some stores like Downeast that we don't have here in VA. Then, we walked around Temple Square and took some pictures.



We stayed with the Davises, Danny's favorite family from his mission and our friends too. They are amazing and were so kind to host us! 

The first College tour was at BYU, my alma mater!
We went on a tour with another family and V learned  a lot about the school. I loved being there and had so many fun memories from college!


There's the Y!

There's part of the huge library!

V and our tour guide who was best friends with one of our former sister missionaries, Sis. Kent- small world.

After our tour, I wanted to show V around the Wilkinson Center. We went to the bookstore and bought some cinnamon bears and BYU swag/souveniers for the family. We didn't really let anyone know that we would be in UT, but  we prayed that we would run into a few people and we did! First, we ran into Mary Barton! 

We also wandered through the at gallery on campus. I wanted to eat lunch at the Museum Cafe, but it had a super long line, so we decided to skip it. We did enjoy the art though. I loved this Nativity painting by Brian Kershisnik. I thought it was so unique to show the multitude of heavenly hosts rejoicing at His birth.

On the same Nativity thread, I really love Minerva Teichert's work and love the Three Wise Men.

I also really loved this string art!

After looking at the Education building and the Kimball Tower, where I saw and spoke to a former professor, Robert Ridge, we left campus and I showed her some places around town. We drove by Liberty Square, an old apartment complex where I lived for a couple years, and the DCFS building where I worked. Again, so many fun memories!

We stopped at the new Provo temple. 

V actually took a break from her soda free lifestyle had a soda with me at Swig! They were so good!

We also went to a store to try on some modest formal dresses. We didn't buy one though.

We had dinner with my friend Liz and her son Greyson in American Fork. It was so fun to see her!


We stopped by the bright and beautiful Ogden temple that night before we got back to the Davises house. It is only about 5 minutes away from the Davises house.
The next day, I got to see my best friend from college! Jen! It was so fun to have breakfast with her and two of her kids at a cute little place called Waffle Love. I loved the concept of the restaurant and we thought it was so good. It was so nice that Jen and I could still click so well. I wish we lived closer and could see each other more.

We headed back to Provo for a football game, but had to hit Called to Surf, a store that V  follows on Instagram first. We had a little time, so checked out a few other stores and had lunch at In and Out Burger before the game.

It was my first BYU Home game in ages!

It was fun to be in that familiar old stadium!

Especially with V!

Afterward, we went to another casual, but delicious restaurant that I wish we had nearby. CupBop and Ramen930! Soooo good! 

I seriously want to bring some of these chains here!

The next day was Sunday. We had a nice breakfast with the Davises- they totally spoil us! Then, we went to their ward for church, which was very nice. Kirk and Scottie made really good grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch. Then we went on an awesome outing to Antelope Island. It looks so different there, but is uniquely beautiful. I







Kirk taught us how to lasso.


The Buffalo! 

These hosts are the best! Love them!

After exploring Antelope Island, we drove by the Bountiful Temple in the daylight, and went back to the Davises for dinner. I had mentioned loving the Navajo Tacos at BYU, but that we couldn't find any on campus. The Davises surprised us with them for dinner! The frybread/scones were SOOO good! Zack and his wife and son came for dinner too. It was really nice to see/meet them.

Later that evening, V and I visited with Dave and Ioana and family! It was great to see them and catch up with them in their home. It is so awesome that we are able to see so many friends here!

The next day we had a whirlwind day trip to BYU-I!
We drove to Idaho,

saw another beautiful temple,

ate more good food (salad at Costa Vida-yum!).

We were warmly welcomed to BYU-I. We had another great tour there and learned a lot. V thought that the students looked happy and there were some cool things on campus. My favorite things were the apple orchard and the green house! The student center and devotional hall were cool too. 

After the tour, we wandered around a bit more and went to the book store and such. V was glad to see her friend, Ashton, for a minute or two before his class. I didn't get a picture of them together though. 

On the way back, I took a picture at this gas station because I got a kick out of how themey and decorated they are inside. 

We stopped by a cookie place that we heard was really good, on the way back. Seriously, so much good food around here! We left them as a thank you gift for the Davises. 

That night, V and I did these awesome masks! Haha!

The next morning, we took our last college tour at Weber State.
We had a great tour of campus with Guierrmo. 
Then, we had a fantastic bonus tour to the on campus pre-school and kindergarten! They have a double major of Elementary and Early Childhood Education that seemed great for V. We were able to observe some of the classrooms and meet some of the faculty as well. We saw the institute building and had a great visit!   


After that visit, we rushed back to Salt Lake to get up lunch, returned the rental car, and flew back! Great trip with my girl! She has a lot to think about!






No comments: