Sunday, May 9, 2010

Heart of VA festival

In Farmville each year, the first Sat of May is the Heart of Virginia Festival. We have been anxious to see what it is! It was on the 1st this year, so I had a fun birthday on April 30, then got to do that the next day.

Speaking of my birthday, I had a fun day. Danny and the kids gave me some nice presents- a skirt, shirt, and black shorts.I liked the clothes and wore the black skirt that day. They had cinnamon rolls ready for breakfast before school too.

The boys and I visited V for lunch at school and spent recess there with her too. It was fun. Then, we played with our friends Dennis(Christian's age) and his mom, Liz, at the park. That evening Danny took me to Don Jose in Richmond and some of my friends met us there for a surprise! My parents watched the kids and we appreciated that. We had a great time catching up and stayed a long time talking. I should have gotten a picture there, but didn't. Oops.

Back to the heart of VA.I spent part of the morning painting faces fundraising for



a group that I joined here. It's a non-denominational Christian group for moms with pre-school aged kids. I've really enjoyed being a part of it, the boys like going, and we've all made some friends that way. I'm going to take a more active role next year by being on the steering committee. I had fun face painting, but was hit or miss about how well I did. Others did better. Here is my friend Emily painting a face.



Danny took the kids around the festival while I face painted. There were lots of vendors selling crafts and yummy food.

Christian got a pop gun that he has enjoyed. I don't like weapons, so I wasn't thrilled with the purchase. We gave him some rules about it and he has been pretty respectful about understanding and following those rules.

We went around together for a bit. It was mainly fun to see people we knew in the town. We really feel like we are getting to know people better. I think it is pretty easy to meet people in a small town because we run into a lot of the same people where ever we go.

We enjoyed seeing our church's booth. It was combined with another local church and was about Family Night. The church gave out some family home evening manuals and such.



The kids helped before the event by turning in pictures of what family means. They were on posters there and the kids thought it was cool to have their art up for everyone to see.


There's mine!


Victoria's take on family!

Christian's says "family means going camping together." It is a picture of a pond, tent, and grass.

We had some fun food for lunch while we listened to a band and watched some hula hoopers (who were pretty impressive by the way- beautiful abs!) We didn't stay too long though because Grant had a fever. He felt happy and normal most of the day. We took him because we knew he'd be contained in a stroller most of the day and not spreading germs. When his Tylenol wore off we had to go home. He needed a nap anyway and the kids had seen most of what they wanted to see.

After a few hours, we went to a cookout at a friend's house for dinner. We just kept Grant with us. A lot of people came. It was fun to get to know some people around here a little better. Danny had fun playing corn hole with the guys.

The town ended the night with a bang.



Fireworks!

It was a fun day. We'll do it again next year. We'd love to have you join us!

No comments: