Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The post knee surgery Ninjas and head trauma

A few weeks ago Danny had knee surgery. He had a cyst removed  and they removed a lot of old scared cartilidge. Not fun, but he handled it well and it recovering like a champ. Well, we are pretty silly at our house, so Danny took turns wrapping us up like ninjas in his ace bandage.
 






Now, notice that there are no picture of V or I as ninjas. Not because we wouldn't. V was in the shower and I was wrapped like a ninja when we all heard a thud and a scream from Victoria in the upstairs bathroom.
Although I had time to unwrap as I ran the the stairs(remember Danny couldn't run/ or even really walk yet), I decided that it might lighten the mood. Well, V was screaming, but the door was locked. I asked her to calmly open the door. Well, she did and she screamed even louder.  I didn't scream, but I was equally terrified. I assured her that I was mom and pulled the disquise from my face.

So, why was I terrified- the scream and thud were result of Victoria slipping and falling in our cast iron tub! She grabbed hold of the shower curtain, but that came crashing down on her and she hit her forehead right on the side of the tub! She had a huge (I mean the biggest I have ever seen! ) goose egg that covered most of her forehead.I was terrified that it would pop open or that she had a terrible brain bruise or something.  Luckily, Christian speedily got Danny's ice pack from his knee and we put it on her forehead. She couldn't be consoled and kept crying so we called the on-call doctor who told us to take her to the ER. But, Danny quickly hobbled next door to see if one of our neighbors(a doctor and a nurse practitioner) could come check her out.
Luckily, MaryAnn, came over and had a look. The Pruitts are awesome! She told us to continue to ice it on and off through  the night, give her medicine and let her sleep(it was bedtime) waking her every hour or 2 to make sure she didn't have a concussion. So, it was a long night, but we iced it on and off 10 minutes for 5 hours and with her lying on her back it got much much better! It wasn't too bad looking the next day, but the swelling started to spread down her nose and face over the next couple, then she had 2 green/black eyes. Here are a couple pictures from the next few days.





She still has a little bruising left and a bit of a bump on her noggin, but you can't notice too much anymore. We are so thankful that she was ok. It was probably my scariest parenting moment to date. And yes, we are still crazy.


No comments: