Saturday, May 22, 2021

Spring 2021

 

This is going to be a lot, please bear with me. 

V and Jayla asked Matt and Mason Kinne, friends from Farmville, to go to prom with them! V already finished school, but doesn't officially graduate until June. However, she can't just pop in and out whenever she wants. She had a couple friends buy tickets for her and the boys.




Christian is having a good CC season! Getting faster each time! #BetterEveryDay


He is also working on Grease! He was cast as Kenicky. 



The YM and dads built new picnic tables for the church. Katherine and Jack climbed.




We decorated the house and dyed eggs to prepare for Easter.












I was able to help some other moms put on a Senior Breakfast on a day that they had off. It was so fun and I loved being a part of it! Also, Victoria had the idea to have a "Senior Sunrise" hike before it and several kids went and had a blast! I love that she just makes things happen! V, let's add your pictures!

One sad thing about finishing school early to work on her cosmetology school and apprenticeship was that V missed her last two seasons of cheer. They were only 6 weeks each and they wound up having to quarantine, but  it was still a little sad. She still supported them in their competitions. Fans were limited, so she watched virtually. I did too! I love the girls she cheered with!

We had an Easter activity for YW. (V no longer attends due to being through with school and also working in Fredericksburg.) Anyway, we dyed Easter eggs, made an easter egg FHE activity, and the girls filled eggs to hide as a fun surprise in someone's yard. We also surprised them with an egg hunt at the end. When I got home, I heard my doorbell ring. It was the Dukes. They brought the eggs to me. They knew that I was going through a lot with my dad and I told the girls that he would probably die that week. It was very sweet and  made me feel seen and loved.

My family was so good to me when I was home. They knew that I was really sad. They were really sad too. Losing a loved one is so sad and anticipating it was equally greivous to me. Often, I "pre-feel" emotions, really strongly.  I am thankful that we could all be open about our feelings and comfort each other.

The week was a really hard one and my heart broke for my mom as he was slipping away. I hope it is ok that I took a few pictures without anyone knowing, but I know that pictures help keep memories fresh for me.

It was conference weekend and we didn't really watch it too much, but heard bits of comforting messages as we watched over dad and tried to ensure that we wasn't in pain. Scott and Craig were there with my mom and I. Hospice nurses took turns staying with us too.  Matt had been the week before.

Even through her intense heartache, mom was so strong and so loving and gentle.

It broke my heart to see my brothers grieving as well, but it was good to be together. We went through an extremely difficult night at Saturday night and no one was able to rest. We took turns staying with him and stayed with him all together, holding his hand, and letting him know it was ok to go, but it just took a really long time. On Sunday, Easter, my mom and I went out and Scott stayed with him (this picture is not from that time). He died with Scott by his side and holding his hand. The hospice nurses suggested that sometimes it takes the oldest assuring the person that things would be ok and that they will look over the spouse etc. After so much struggle, death was really peaceful and an answered prayer. It was so fitting that my wonderful father died on a day that celebrates Resurrection. I have a strong testimony that death is not the end. Through Jesus Christ, we will overcome death and will be able to be together again. I am so thankful for that beautiful truth.  



These are a few pictures from my early Aprils with my dad. 

One of the things that I did during the next week, as we awaited his funeral and burial, was put together a memorial slideshow. 


That and writing a talk for his funeral were difficult and theraputic.




The day that I came home, the family showed love for me by giving service and taking care of some projects that I wanted done.



Danny also took the kids to a driving range and 7-11 in honor of my dad because that is something that he sometimes did with grandkids. This allowed me time to rest and work on the photo slideshow.

It was spring break, so Danny and the kids did several fun things during the week and were very considerate to give me patience and space when needed.

I was able to spend some time with the family too.






Katherine had a softball game! We learned that she is loving it and getting better every day! She has a great attitude, puts the work in, and is very coachable. We are really proud of her.




The next Sunday Danny and the kids went to a belated Easter celebration at the Soderholms. I wanted to focus on my talk that day, so I stayed home. I know they enjoyed it though and am thankful that Danny took some pictures for me. 

The next day was my dad's funeral. It was at the chapel on Bailey Bridge Rd. Matt's family had come to town. Due to covid, there was not a visitation. Honestly, that was probably easier for us. Lots of friends and relatives came and more watched virtually. It was a blessing to have so much support from family, friends, and church members. It was a beautiful service. After the funeral, we went to the cemetery to dedicate his grave. The family went back to mom's house afterward. We had dinner and were glad to be together. Family is so treasured. I am so thankful that we can be together forever.


The sister missionaries gave us a heart attack to share some love. So sweet!

My friend, Abby, also brought dinner to my family upon hearing of my dad's passing. 

Several friends and family members sent flowers and cards and checked in to see how I was doing.

I learned that I don't process grief in a very typical or expected way. I felt better just acting normal and hoped for fun and distractions. This can backfire in the long run though, because I don't really go through the emotion, but suppress it. For example, I think that a day or two after I got home, I went to a book club with some friends and also with some people that I don't know. I did not want to talk about it at all and instead wanted to have fun and act "normal." Also, I don't like being the person being helped or served, even though I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the giver. I would just rather be a giver and a helper. I don't know if this makes sense, but everyone processes differently at feels it at different times. 


Back to the fun parts... We enjoyed having more missionary discussions with Catherine. She started out with Elder Manivan and Elder Astling, but sometimes the Spanish Elders came too. This is a picture with Elders Lloyd, Crockett, and Peterson. It was Elder Crockett's birthday! Sis. Payne and Sis. Chamberlynne were there too. We had so many fun discussions with Catherine and the missionaries and have really become great friends.


This was a sweet, simple, baby shower for Krista before she had baby Merritt! I love the circle of life and love babies! Not too long after this, I got to hold her sweet baby boy. What a blessing!

Christian and CC friends! 

The world grew greener and flowers blossomed.

Katherine practiced.



Danny and the boys went on a campout with some men and YM from church. They had a lot of fun, but I felt very jealous when I saw the pictures and wanted to enjoy this spot too.


Grant had a baseball game. He is pitching more this season. I LOVE to watch him play!






After the games, Danny and Grant showed Katherine and I their camping spot. We loved it too!



Such a beautiful time of year!
She is loving softball and watching her improve is so fulfilling!
She is improving with piano too! 

Elder Lloyd's birthday called for a whole bowl of strawberries. Also, his mom told us that they have a tradition of tackling the birthday boy, so Danny and the other Elders dogpiled him. It was so funny and surprising. He told us that that was not really a tradition. Hahaha! He has been here so long now, he feels almost like a part of the family.
We helped V get the courage to ask JT to the Mormon Prom in Richmond. He said yes!

I turned 41! My mom came to celebrate with me too! The kids had school and V had work.


I took my mom to the State Arboretum which I love. We had a nice outing and then had lunch at and Indian restaurant in Warrenton.

The sweet Elders gave me these succulents for my birthday! I thought that was so kind. I am still enjoying them today as I write this nearly a year later! 



V's Senior Prom! She and the girls had fun getting ready! Of course, V loved doing their hair!

V and Danny had to re-enact some pictures that they took when she went to prom with him when she was 8 or 9.

Handsome brother and sister.

Matt and Mason arrived and everyone got together for pictures!

Christian went with Catherine!

Christian, Catherine, Mason, Jayla, V, Matt, Jeff, and Alli

Matt and V looked great! You know Jenn and I love this too!

Farmville friends, lifelong friends!

So fun that Grandma could stay the weekend with us and see them off to a fun night.



Prom was a little different this year, but we are so glad that the school was creative and figured out a way to do it within the legal guidelines. It was outside, in 3 shifts, and was more of a fancy dinner than a typical dance. There were fireworks at the end too, which was really cool! The kids had a great time! We were so thankful that the Seniors were able to have a prom!


I helped with a Cinco de Mayo Celebration for the teachers at CMS for teacher appreciation week. I thought I had some cute pictures of the event, but I could only find pictures of a hundred plus taco salads in my car. Haha! 

















You know that I love watching Christian in plays, right?! Yep, they did it again! Even in a pandemic they put on an amazing show! It was outside and socially distanced and awesome! So glad for a problem solving school! I know the principal and he wants the kids to have as much normalcy and as many chances for success as possible. Love that guy! 

So, Christian was hilarious as Kenickie. He had a terrible attitude, was a chain smoker, and had a rough accent. Christian sang "Grease Lightening" and did a great job!

It was fun to have family and friends come to see it! 

Also, Cally, Matt, and V reenacted a famous picture from 1st grade and we loved it. (Gotta add it)

After Christian's final performance, we went on a trip! To Cancun! It was so much fun!



It was Christian, Grant, and Katherine's first plane ride! The pictures aren't quite in order, but should speak for themselves. It was a great time! 




































It was an overall fantastic trip. No crowds, great safety precautions (we didn't love the covid tests though), good food, beautiful beaches, great snorkeling, great shows, warm sun, monkeys, macaws, iguanas, Mexican raccoons, and more. We loved it! Thanks, Danny, for planning it all!

Sis. Chamberlin and Sis. Payne came to watch Katherine and Faith play! So cool! Love them!



Danny and I enjoyed an awesome date night for my friend Nicole's 40th birthday! It was 70's themed and we had such a fun time dressing up and dancing with good friends!

The same night V and Camila went to Mormon prom in Richmond with JT and Will! The girls spent the night with my mom afterward. From what I heard, they had a great time! V has those pictures, so I will need her help to add them. These are the ones she sent me that night. So cute. They are so comfortable together and such good friends.
I never really buy these pictures, but they sure are cute, aren't they?

Katherine's team's catcher wasn't there for a game and K was so brave and stepped right in! 

She got the game ball for that great team spirit and effort!

Also, Kate saved her money for something that she really wanted.

A hoverboard. Grant chipped in too, so he also has the right to be able to use the hoverboard. I like that they negotiated this together fairly and that it hasn't been an issue that I need to referee. 

And on to spring track! The sports have been back to back without any downtime and the kids are persisting. Christian stayed really busy with rehearsals and running! If I recall, this is their 4x800 team before the race.












 










No comments: