Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy St. Patty's Day!

We had a fun St. Patrick's Day yesterday. Not that it is a big holiday around here, but why not have a little fun, right?

We had green pancakes for breakfast. Danny's mom did that for their family and it seems like an easy enough tradition, so why not? They were good, but Christian wasn't too into them.


Christian's buddy, Sam, came over to play in the morning. They had fun together. When they were eating a snack that Sam brought, they kept putting food near their ears and saying funny things. They were cracking each other up! We had to go to the grocery store while he was here and probably 8-10 people commented on the "cute twins" and a couple hardly believed me when I told them that they were only friends. They were very good at the store and here.


At lunch, we ate some green fruits and veggies with some not green pizza. Grant tried yellow squash baby food for the first time. He liked it OK, but loved the taste of green pepper. The tears in the picture are because I tried to take it away. OK, you can have it back!

And this is who came off the bus in the afternoon-


a funny little leprechaun!

And guess what? She said that a little leprechaun left gold coin chocolates in her classroom! She was nice enough to share them with Christian and I. She also let us all try on the hat and beard she made. Very cute!

When Danny got home he taught the kids a little about St. Patrick and let them watch a video clip about it on the the computer. I probably could have learned a little myself, but I was busy making a traditional Irish meal. So, we are wearing green to symbolize Catholicism, right? We told the kids a little about St. Patrick- that he was a good man and a great missionary. He was forgiving and faithful. It really is a pretty good story to go back and teach the people who enslaved him.

And for dinner- I said a traditional Irish meal ;) Well, maybe halfway?

Corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes, Americanized Irish Soda bread, and green jello. It doesn't look too aesthetically pleasing or palate pleasing, but really it was pretty good if I do say so myself.

Hope you all had a good St. Patrick's Day too. And I hope you wore green. I don't like my friends getting pinched.

1 comment:

The Henrich Family said...

fun post, Brooke! Sounds like an all day celebration. Thanks again for watching Sam. He and Christian are good buddies, Sam loves him a lot.