Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hit and Run and Barotrauma

Just a note of crazy...

It was so great to see Danny and the kids when they picked me up from the airport! The boys were sleeping because it was pretty late, but V stayed up to greet me. We were driving home on Hull Street when suddenly we saw a car coming straight at us! They were driving on the complete wrong side of the median. Well, Danny got over as much as he could without hitting the car to our right. However, the crazy car on the wrong side of the road hit us all along the drivers side of our car which was also the side where Christian and Grant were sleeping. It was terrifying! The impact immediately woke them up and was very scary to all of the kids. I looked behind us and noticed that the car did not stop, but instead drove right across the median and exited off of 288.

We called 911 because we felt like it was a dangerous situation, presuming that the driver was very drunk and still on the road. The police came and looked at our car, which amazingly and thankfully wasn't too bad, just scrapes along the entire driver side. They also collected some evidence- including the crazy car's hubcaps.

We doubted that the driver would ever be caught unless he hit someone else the same night. I don't know if he did or not, but about a week ago Danny recieved a supoenae to court for the incident, so somehow they caught the guy and we are glad. The court date is in Sept. so wish us luck.

After all of that drama, around midnight as we were getting closer to Farmville we saw a lady and a baby with their car on the side of the road. So we were able to stop and help them. It is kind of a long story, but we were able to help this couple and their baby. It was a great juxtaposition to the hit and run an hour or so earlier and made me really proud of what a good man Danny is.

Another quick story, on the flight home my ears were popping and the pain was pretty terrible. I took an advil, tried blowing my nose, chewing gum, swallowing, everything that I could think of, but my ear wouldn't pop.

Long story short. It wouldn't un pop and I couldn't hear out of my right ear. So after a few days back I went to the doctor. He couldn't see my eardrum and sent me to an ENT. I had something called Barotrauma and my eardrum was pulled in by the pressure. He prescribed an antibiotic and said I would need surgery (a myringotomy- the same as Christian has had 3 times, but without a permanent tube) if it wasn't better in a month. Well, thanks to time, prayers, and cranial sacral therapy by my mother in law it unpopped at around 3 and a half weeks. It is nice to hear again!



1 comment:

Ioana said...

Oh my goodness!!!! That was horrible! I'm glad they caught the guy and that all of you are ok!
And good that your ears are better. I occasionally get that and now I'm thinking that maybe I can talk to my doc and look more seriously into it (she told me that it was a sinus infection that manifested itself into the ears).