Monday, August 30, 2010

Stuff the Bus


I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I am the VP for the PTA at the kid's school this year. I wanted to be an officer in the PTA, but I hadn't really planned on it until Grant was in school. I wanted to be the hospitality chair this year, but they needed officers and VP sounded more doable than Pres or Sec. So, here I am. It is a little more work than I had thought, but there are some highs too. The first event that I really enjoyed was "Stuff the Bus".

The planning was right up my alley- thanks to being Activities Chairperson for a couple years at church, things like this aren't quite as overwhelming as they once were. Jamie got the volunteers, I got the bus, and we both took turns talking to Walmart. Those were the main things. The rest were details like handouts of what we needed, labels for the bus, decorating the bus, a couple tabes and things like that. Caroline made flyers that we posted around town and sent to the students. The hardest part for me was- advertising for it on the local radio station- I was soooo anxious about that, but it turned out to be no big deal. The dj was super nice and the conversation seemed natural. My main concern was sounding like an idiot and making the school or PTA look bad.

Anyway- main point- it was a huge success!!! We collected over 1000 school supplies and 300 dollars! So many people stopped by to donate. People were very generous! It was great! We hope that all the students will have everything that they need to start a successful school year.

Here are a few pictures from the event. 

The bus!

 
Kirstyn and Tanya
 
Sarah and Mrs. Hodges (Christian's teacher!)
Christa and Liz
Grant thought it was fun to sit in the drivers seat!
 
V and C came and donated and sorted some supplies too!
 
Thanks for being so supportive, guys! It was a good day.

No comments: