Saturday, August 29, 2020

Sailboat Date Night

Danny and I took the sailboat to Lake Anna State Park for a date night.  

We had quite the adventure- partly stressful and partly fun. 

We worked together, got the boat ready really quickly, and were off! We were feeling pretty good and the wind took us out pretty quickly. We decided to turn around to get some money so we could stop somewhere for dinner or a snack.  It was a good thing that we did because we weren't too far away when we heard "Blub, blub, blub" and very rapidly started to sink! Danny and I quickly realized that we forgot to put in the plugs!  Danny yelled "Bail!" as he quickly grabbed the plugs from the little tool pouch that we keep on the boat and popped them in his mouth. I threw myself over the side of the boat, catching on the guide wire or the tiller arm or something. It happened so quickly  and the adrenaline was strong, I really don't know what happened, but I had several bruises later. I held the boat up, while he swam around and put the plugs in. Danny tried to blame me for our situation by asking, "Remember when I asked you to put the plugs in?!!" I retorted, "Remember when I said, No, I am taking care of packing the dry bag and filling our water bottles?!!"A cute young couple on a waverunner shouted to ask if we were ok. It was pretty embarrassing. Danny, immediately caught some strong wind and threw himself back on the boat before it blew away without us! We had to take it back to the boat launch, to put it back on the trailer to drain it anyway, so that made sense to ride with it. What wasn't so fun was me, hanging out in the water as the couple on the wave runner came closer and asked if I need a ride in. Obviously, I did, but I hate needing help and inconveniencing people. As I was muttering, "No, thank you, it isn't too far, I can probably swim in." Danny shouted from afar, "Yeah, grab her please!" Another reason why I didn't want thelp was that I was afraid that it would be tough to climb on the back of their waverunner and I would make a fool of myself. Thankfully, I was able to pull up and on on the first try! Phew! They were very kind and drove me back to Danny and the boat. We were able to get the boat back onto the trailer. It drained forever! It was seriously full of water! That was a close one!

Even though both of our hearts were still pumping furiously, we went back out! It took me a few minutes to feel like this was fun again.

We didn't find the restaurants that we were looking for, but we did find a bait and tackle shop. The man working there was very nice and we got some drinks and a snack. 

We lost wind on the way back. Another boater gave us a pull so that we could get back before dark. We were thankful!
 

It was a beautiful night and a fun adventure. We were one of the last 3 out of the parking lot and just barely made it out by dark. We were so hungry. 

We drove to get dinner and found all of the pull up and order outside restaurants that we were looking for. Oh well, next time! We got a good dinner and enjoyed in the parking lot on the truck's tailgate. 

Memorable date night. Thanks, Danny!






 

No comments: