Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dogwood Dell

After the river we headed back home. We stayed long enough to unload the car, start the laundry from the day before, reload a cooler, replenish the diaper bag, gather a picnic blanket, and chairs into the car again and then we were off for Dogwood Dell! See what I mean about how we are always crazy? You might think that it is just for holidays, but unfortunately (and fortunately) it is almost every day. We just like being busy.

We picked up fried chicken on the way- a tradition for the Fourth of July for Danny's family.

We found out kinda last minute that Danny's parents decided that they wanted a break from all of the running around that they had been doing lately, so they stayed home. Danny's aunt Sharon and most of her family came though. When I say most I mean, she and Tom, Candice, Bryan, and Maddie, Dave, Ioana, Ana, Lexie, Zach, Kelly, Shawn, and Jonathan. It was fun to see the out-of-towners from that side of the family!


Johnathan and his flag
The kids had fun playing on the playground and getting reacquainted with their second cousins. Danny and I had fun talking with his cousins and their spouses. We also enjoyed the traditional, Fourth of July cake. Danny was going to make one, but didn't this year and we were sort of sad about it, but Sharon made two! So, that was perfect. And delicious. I think Ioana took a picture.

"Tia Sharon" and sleeping Grant. It was nice that although she had so many of her own grand kids there she still gave our kids attention and made them feel loved.

V, Ana, and Lexie waving their flags to the music
Christian and Zach. Zach looks so cute, but Christian looks so grumpy. He looks that way from time to time. This time it was because he "hates fireworks!" and doesn't want ash in his eye again this year. He insisted on wearing sunglasses and still covered his eyes even though I held him and tried to assure him that it would be okay. He finally watched a bit of the end when Danny let him wear his special sunglasses. Good thinking, Dad. Afterward he liked fireworks again!

Grant wonders what the heck is going on!
After a while he just enjoyed it though. I enjoy this picture. Grant is so cute, you can see some cousins in the background, and check out Danny's smile.
I love fireworks! It was a great show, especially the finale.

We are so thankful for our country and really enjoyed celebrating it!

3 comments:

Lambert the Sheepish Lions said...

Oh looks like you and your family had such a great time!

Shauna said...

I was just reminding my mom that she made me walk so far right after I had my appendix out because the Soderholm's invited us to Dogwood Dell for the 4th. I guess I really have no one to blame but myself. :-)

Ioana said...

It was so good seeing you guys! We had fun.:) Maybe you'll come visit us in Utah!