Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kirsten in the Book Parade

 Victoria had her first big book report. She was pretty excited about it. It was an especially neat assignment because not only did the kids get to select and read their book and make a project, but they also got to dress up like a character from their book and march in a book parade. Victoria read an American Girl book, Happy Birthday Kirsten.
 
Victoria got to work reading and making her project.

 
Grandma brought a big bag of fabric to choose from. Thanks, Mom. It was fun to rummage through your things. Victoria found some squares already cut out and we cut a couple more . Then, she did a great job coloring different significant scenes from the book and gluing fabric to make her quilt project. Kirsten and her friends in the book made a quilt, so that is where that idea came from. She loved it and wanted to sew it too, but we ran out of time so had to glue it. It still looks great. I was proud of her for thinking of such a cool idea.
I was sort of proud of myself too for sewing her costume. Well, she actually had the pink dress (it was 2T, but not too tight.) I just took the hem out it to make it 2 inches longer. I made the apron. By hand, might I add. (The tension on the sewing machine was terrible and I didn't want to ruin it.) Plus, I waited to the last minute. Who's surprised? Don't try to get a close up of the stiches. They are pretty terrible as are some of the rough edges, but I was running out of time. Anyway, I don't sew, and it looked cute on her and she was pleased, so I was too.
So, seriously, look how cute V is marching in her parade with her book and quilt.
Mrs. Venable's class of characters
 
The bookworm cake I was asked to make for her class- A bundt cake cut in half and set up like an S. The icing I made was too runny and looks like a mess, but worms are supposed to be kinda slimy, right? I added a book to the dirt when I got to the classroom. The kids thought it was cool.
.
 I think Victoria enjoyed being Kirsten for the day, marching in the parade, and even eating some of the book-worm cake.

She got a 100 on her project and another 100 on her listening grade. Great effort, V!
 

2 comments:

Ioana said...

What an awesome project!!! Way to go V and Brooke! You both did great! Ana and Lexie love the American Girl books and dolls too.:)

KaseyQ said...

Gee, I wonder where in the world V could have gotten all her great ideas from? I think it runs in the family! She's going to be creative and hardworking just like her mommy!! :-)