Friday, January 20, 2012

Field trip to learn about the "Olden Days"

Grant and I met up with Christian's class on a cold drizzly day in November at 
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park.
http://www.stateparks.com/appomattox_court_house.html


The students learned about the "olden days". They went into several old buildings there and were able to hear about differences between communities past and present. The kids were cute and pretty well behaved. Christian impressed me with some of his questions and also some of his answers to the tour guides questions. He is a smart kid. Not sure that I can recall the specifics, except for one which was kind of weird. He asked about the plaster and paint on the walls. He wanted to know if it was original or repainted and what they added to make the color in the "olden days." Danny, a history teacher, thinks it is so funny when Christian so often says "olden days".  Also, I noticed how observant he is. When we were in the McLean house, he was excited because he noticed a doll in the house which he had seen earlier reproduced in the gift shop. Good eye buddy.
Part of the class listening to the tour guide before we went into the McLean house. Christian looks freezing cold, because he was. He was wearing his rain coat, but then accidentally ripped it (big time) while we were there and refused to wear the ripped coat. I held it for him, but he had to suffer the consequence of being cold. Maybe next time I ask him to wear a winter coat, even though it is raining, he will heed my advice.

I am glad that I am usually able to go on field trips with the kids.

No comments: