Sunday, May 3, 2009

Earth Day

So, all day long I was thinking and singing in my head and out loud, "Let's take care of the Earth cause it's ours and it's so much better than ... Mars!" (A joy school song from the Joy of the Earth unit). I became a fan of Earth day a long time ago. It was probably either talking about it in elementary school when we got to bring home a pine sapling or when Richmond used to have a really cool Earth day celebration on Brown's Island. I don't think they have it anymore, but if they do and we missed it will you please let me know? We'd love to go! We want to celebrate because we sure are thankful for our beautiful earth!
I am sure that most of you know that I am pretty big into recycling and other environmental issues, so my kids are too and I think it is safe to say that Danny is becoming more environmentally conscious too these days. Although I still have to pick scraps of paper out of our garbage cans from time to time, it isn't nearly as bad as when we were first married and he was always questioning, "Do I really have to rinse out these cans?" "Um, yes! It's called being a good steward." The other day he told me that he had been reading all about solar panels. I was oh so proud! I am acting kinda condescending, huh? I am not really a perfect steward myself. (OK, I've disposed of thousands of disposable diapers along with lots of other unneccessary trash). With that out of the way, I still try to take care of our world and want to do better.
Anyway, back to Earth, Christian and I had planned to clean up some trash at the park near our house for earth day. We've done that before with Joy school and for FHE and it is fun. Danny and V had other plans though. I guess they had talked about planting a small garden for earth day. We try every year with hardly any luck, but we are trying again and it was a totally good way to celebrate. Of course we also played outside and cooked and ate dinner outside too to make it a little more exciting.

V and C with their plants.

V with a worm(hard to tell, I know, I think it tore in half. OOpps!)

Christian and Daddy planting Christian's tomato plant.
Happy Earth Day!

No comments: